"That which does no earthly good cannot be heavenly minded." R. Rivera

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Desire


Desire
By Ruben Rivera
Originally composed, January 2012

we are what we desire yet
few there are who show or
can that such was never ours
countless grasping hands
have ploughed the virgin soil
in furrows deep as worry and
hollow as the grave declaring
you're nothing without me
and so the self before
it knew itself and since
to that one true thing
to happy here and then
to missing god-shaped
puzzle piece are
someone's handsome profit
until we hurl the plough
upon the cold and smoky
ground and the dead are left
to rot in all those graves
...

6 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

OK, you better submit this one. It has the feel of today's poetry, and all you have to do is PUT IT OUT THERE! THIS IS SPLENDID!!!!

wendy said...

I think anyone who can write poetry is a genius. It really takes a talent.
I can't do anything past
roses are red
violets are blue
(you get the idea)
Very nice Rueben.

Debbie said...

WOW. Ruben, I got it. I'm with Anita ... you must submit this.
Thank you for your comment to my recent post. To see what has happened to society over the last 30 years especially with this pro-child movement is disgusting. Your comment was so on point with regard to the last generations children being marketed to consume, consume, consume. WHAT IS IT? When/why did the culture turn to "having things" with such a HUNGER?!?!?! It's as though "things" are more, or as important, as air, water, food. ugh.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

So very powerful Ruben! I also agree with Anita ... This really needs to be submitted. It has touched my soul.
Love and blessings,
Penny

Palomasea said...

Dear Ruben...this is a "wowsa" for sure.
I do hope you are able to submit it.
Reminiscent of e.e. cummings, one of my favorite poets.
Thank you so much for sharing this!
Hope to see you and Anita soon :)
- Irina

lisa Moran, Bilancia Designs said...

Oh my goodness, Ruben!!!!
This is AMAZING. Simply amazing.
Again, I'm speechless....
Your writing gives me goosebumps. xo